British Cycling are looking for volunteers for a number of key roles – could you be one of them?
We’re looking for friendly, enthusiastic people to get involved at HSBC UK Let’s Ride Birmingham this year and help us make each event an unforgettable experience for the thousands of people taking part.
Volunteers will be a crucial part of each day, supporting our team to make the events shine and ensure everyone has a great time.
We’re not offering monetary rewards, but in exchange for your time we’ll give you some basic training, something to wear, and provide support on the day to ensure you have a great time too!
If you’re over 18, enjoy the buzz of a big event, and are willing to give up your own time to get involved, there are a limited number of roles available at each HSBC UK City Ride, including:
- Route marshals: lend some encouragement and support to riders along the route and point them in the right direction.
- Hub hosts: offer a friendly welcome at the main event hubs, hand out giveaways and support the family activities.
- Riders: get out on your bike and ride alongside the public, provide encouragement, spot any issues along the way and link with our support crew.
Register now to get involved!
On Sunday 11th March 2018 we are holding a This Girl Can 5k Walk, Jog & Run at Cannon Hill Park
To celebrate International Women’s Day we are holding a free 5k Walk, Jog or Run event of Women and girls over 14 years old
Run Birmingham and Birmingham Wellbeing “This Girl Can” FREE activities aim to bring together women of all shapes, sizes, ages and abilities and encourage them to get active.
So come along and pledge to do something and bring a friend because together we can do anything. #UsBrumGirlsWill
Registration is from 10am and you can find us by the bandstand, warm up from 10.45am and the run starts at 11am
For further information visit https://mhfaengland.org/
Looking to get out on your bike this Spring? Why not take a look at whats on offer in your local area
See full details in the pdf below
BCRBBB ‘Winter-Spring’ Prog 2018_WEB
Some Interesting things you told us in the Spring 2016 Wellbeing Survey
Health and happiness
Around 30% of people said they don’t feel that healthy and that they’re not that happy.
However, when we looked at the relationship between happy people and healthy people, we found that 84% of those who said they felt healthy also said they were happy.
So it looks like if you want to be happier being healthier may help and doing any sort of physical activity will help you be healthier,
When we looked at the relationship between happy people and the activity they actually do there were some clear winners!
- 1st Walking the dog or Group Fitness Classes
- 2nd Playing with children or swimming
- 3rd Running or gardening
The good news is that 60% of everyone we spoke to said they want to do more physical exercise – which is great!
When asked what they’d like to do, some clear favourites emerged:
- 16% go for a swim
- 12% go to the gym, attend a fitness session or group class
- 11% go for a walk
- 10% go cycling
- 9% have a dance
- 7% go for a run or jog
Use of parks
Many of these activities you can do yourself in your local park and it looks like using your local park has a very positive link with your health and happiness.
- 41% of panellists who use parks rate their health as good or very good vs only 25% for those who don’t use parks
- 26% of those who use parks are very happy (score 9 or 10 for happiness rating) vs 17% from those who don’t use parks
So if you want to stay healthy and feel good why not visit your local park or Wellbeing Centre where we offer access to facilities and sessions free of charge as part of the Be Active scheme. Please follow the links below.