Some Interesting things you told us in the Spring 2016 Wellbeing Survey
Health and happiness
Around 30% of people said they don’t feel that healthy and that they’re not that happy.
However, when we looked at the relationship between happy people and healthy people, we found that 84% of those who said they felt healthy also said they were happy.
So it looks like if you want to be happier being healthier may help and doing any sort of physical activity will help you be healthier,
When we looked at the relationship between happy people and the activity they actually do there were some clear winners!
- 1st Walking the dog or Group Fitness Classes
- 2nd Playing with children or swimming
- 3rd Running or gardening
The good news is that 60% of everyone we spoke to said they want to do more physical exercise – which is great!
When asked what they’d like to do, some clear favourites emerged:
- 16% go for a swim
- 12% go to the gym, attend a fitness session or group class
- 11% go for a walk
- 10% go cycling
- 9% have a dance
- 7% go for a run or jog
Use of parks
Many of these activities you can do yourself in your local park and it looks like using your local park has a very positive link with your health and happiness.
- 41% of panellists who use parks rate their health as good or very good vs only 25% for those who don’t use parks
- 26% of those who use parks are very happy (score 9 or 10 for happiness rating) vs 17% from those who don’t use parks
So if you want to stay healthy and feel good why not visit your local park or Wellbeing Centre where we offer access to facilities and sessions free of charge as part of the Be Active scheme. Please follow the links below.